Histotechnologist, Geisinger Medical Center (Full Time) (Days)
Danville, PA 17821, USA
Healthcare / Pharmacy
$12,500 sign on incentive for qualified applicants! Processes and prepares tissue specimens for examination by Pathologists.
- Processes tissues on processing equipment or by manual methods to ensure proper fixation for examination.
- Identifies and determines proper orientation of tissue specimens and embeds specimens in paraffin to ensure proper alignment for sectioning.
- Performs microtomy at proper micron to render quality sections for diagnoses.
- Produces consistently good quality microscopic slides that can be readily reviewed and interpreted by the Pathologist.
- Performs routine and special staining procedures as required to distinguish cells and organisms for diagnostic examination.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventive maintenance program, and alerts Analytical Specialist of any equipment problems.
- Assists in proper handling and storage of supplies, notifies Analytical Specialist when inventory is low.
- Assists with department's Quality Improvement program through active participation in patient specimen identification and quality tracking measures.
- Assists in the evaluation and validation of new instruments and new technologies as needed.
- Participation in completion of assigned initial and subsequent competency assessment examinations required and maintains working knowledge of applicable Laboratory Information System programs and system changes.
- Participates in the training and orientation of new employees.
Join our team at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA! $12,500 sign on bonus for qualified applicants!
This position is anticipated to work 5, 8.5 hour shifts per week with a .5 hour lunch break. Start time will either be 8AM or 9AM.
This position requires an HT(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP). Recent graduates are encouraged to apply!
Graduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required), Associate's Degree- (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s)
Certified Histotechnician - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS : We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE : We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING : We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION : We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY : We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
Required degree level