Laboratory Assistant, Histology (Full Time) (Days)
Danville, PA 17821, USA
Healthcare / Pharmacy
Assesses, accessions, and processes patient specimens in preparation for testing in the various sections of Laboratory Medicine.
- Safely handles potentially infectious blood, body fluids, and other patient specimens in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Assesses suitability and acceptability of patient specimens.
- Rejects unacceptable specimens according to established protocols.
- Matches order information with specimen information to ensure accuracy and patient safety.
- Accessions and results according to procedure via appropriate computer application.
- Correctly assigns billing numbers, location codes, and physician numbers.
- Verifies physician orders when test requests are unclear.
- Prepares specimens as appropriate including centrifugation, aliquoting, labeling.
- Delivers prepared specimens to appropriate testing area in a timely manner.
- Applies laboratory internet programs to store specimens and to locate, retrieve, and process specimens for additional testing as requested.
- Maintains computer logs, quality control, disinfection procedures, and departmental assigned duties.
- Manages phone inquiries and provides information regarding specimen collection, transport, and patient results as appropriate.
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as needed.
- Assists with packaging ordering and referral of specimens to reference laboratories in compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation and commercial carrier regulations as required.
- Troubleshoots missing specimens and other preanalytical errors including courier log review, specimen archives.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventative maintenance program, and alerts supervisor of any equipment problems.
- Assists in proper handling, storage, and maintenance of supplies, notifies supervisor when inventory is low.
The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
This position's working hours are expected to be 3AM to 11:30AM.
Geisinger benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, that starts day one of employment
- Three medical plan choices, including options to save with a flexible spending account (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Company-paid life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance
- Competitive 401(K) plan that includes an automatic 5% Geisinger contribution starting day one of employment
- PTO plan that allows you to earn more time more quickly
- MyHealth Rewards wellness program to improve your health and earn monetary incentives
- Family support that includes adoption assistance, IVF and IUI coverage, paid parental leave, paid military leave and a free Care.com membership with discounted backup care for your loved ones.
High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
Laboratory Equipment Operation; Communication; Laboratory Services; Computer Literacy; Laboratory Information Systems (LIS); Laboratory Supply And Inventory Management
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS : We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE : We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING : We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION : We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY : We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
Required degree level