Surgical Technologist - Operating Rooms - Rotating Shift
Danville, PA 17821, USA
Healthcare / Pharmacy
Some Experience Required
Geisinger is proud to offer a Surgical Technologist a $7500 hiring incentive for eligible candidates, competitive pay rates, up to $5/hr shift differential for evening, night and weekend shifts and up to $40,000 in financial support to become a nurse!
Benefits of working at Geisinger:
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance that starts day one of employment
- Grow your career with up to $5000 in tuition reimbursement per year
- Three medical plan choices, including options to save with a flexible spending account (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short-term disability, and Long-term disability
- Competitive 401(k) plan that includes automatic Geisinger contributions starting day one of employment
- PTO plan that allows you to earn more time fast
- MyHealth Rewards wellness program to improve your health and earn incentives
- Family-friendly support to include adoption assistance, paid parental leave, paid military leave and a free care.com membership with discounted backup care for your loved ones.
- Shared governance structure that empowers our Surgical Technologists
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated leaders
- Community involvement through our Employee Resource Groups
- Employee referral incentive program
Assists surgeon with procedures related to the care of patient of all ages during surgical intervention.
- Assists in the coordination of treatments with other disciplines.
- Provides basic patient assistance.
- Connects patients to clinical equipment as needed.
- Practices aseptic techniques while preparing for surgery including scrubbing, applying surgical gown, gloving, draping and setting up instrument table.
- Actively participates in surgical Time and out and operationg room briefing according to the universal protocol.
- Identifies correct surgical site with the circulating registered nurse and surgeon before incision of operative procedures.
- Maintains an accurate account of supplies including sponges, needles and instruments.
- Verifies count with the circulating nurse at end of procedure.
- Prepares, identifies and verifies all specimens obtained during the surgical procedure.
- Disposes of linens, needles and sharps in appropriate containers.
- Assesses wounds and applies or changes sterile dressing as instructed by the registered nurse.
- Maintains and documents universal precautions.
- Initiates emergency procedures.
- Participates in the admission and discharge process.
- Performs billing as appropriate for services rendered or equipment used.
- Participates in on-call rotations of operating room.
- Acts as a preceptor for students assigned to the surgical unit.
- Adheres to all policies, protocols and standards of care.
- Performs quality control monitoring.
- Performs additional duties including specimen collection, pleure-vac and traction set up, patient transport and post-mortem care.
- Assures all medications and solutions are labeled, under the registered nurse's supervision.
Applicants graduating from a Surgical Technologist program after December 31, 2020, will have 6 months from their date of graduation from the program to become Certified.
Schedule: 10 and 12 hour rotating shifts including on-call and weekends required.
This is a Level One Trauma Center.
Graduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required)
Minimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s)
Certified Surgical Technologist - Accredited Certification Program
Military experience as a Hospital Corpsman (HM) Surgical Technologist, Operating Room Specialist (68D), Surgical Service Apprentice (4N1XX) will be considered
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS : We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE : We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING : We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION : We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY : We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- Some Experience Required